In order for your Magento to function properly, you need to set up a Magento Cron Job in your cron tab. There are two ways to set up Cron Job.
Configuring Magento Cron Job using Command Line
Step 1. Connect to Magento server using SSH
Step 2. Open the cron tab editor
Once you’ve connected to the Magento server – please execute the following command in order to edit cron tab.
After this command has been performed – the cron tab editor will open.
Step 3. Copy the code to set up a cron job
Add the following lines of the code to set up the cron jobs:
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /bin/sh /absolute/path/to/magento/cron.sh
where absolute/path/to/magento/ – is the path to the specific folder of your Magento installation.
Save your changes after you finish editing the file.
Configuring Magento Cron Job using Hosting Panel
In order to configure Cron Job, you can also use your Hosting Panel. Almost all hosting providers offer a panel where you can set up Cron Job for Magento. Please, follow the instructions below to configure Cron Job for Magento correctly.
1. Log into your hosting panel and in the Cron Job settings section, set up the execution of the following script every 5 minutes:
Magento cron checker script
In terms of Plumrocket Magento extensions – if the Cron Job settings were configured incorrectly, there will be the following error message shown on the extension configuration page, like it is shown on the screenshot below.
After you set up Cron Job properly, this message will disappear (sometimes it might take up to 30 minutes). Note that this message will not be removed instantly, since the tasks are being executed within the set periodicity.
Also, you can use the special script in order to check the proper functioning of Cron Job tasks and its settings. In order to check the status of the cron by the means of the script – please follow the steps below.
- Download the magento-cron-checker.zip archive and unzip it.
- Upload it to the root directory of the site as shown below:
- This is your client side. You will see the script file.
- This is your root directory on server side. This is where the file should be uploaded.
- All the files must be uploaded to the server. Select the file and press the right mouse button
- Select the “Upload” option in order to upload the file to the server.
3. Now enter the script path in your browser’s address bar and follow this address. The path format is:
where “yourdomain” is the name of your domain.
The screenshot below displays the page that will appear after you successfully run the script: