Email Popups for E-Commerce: 10 DOs and DON’Ts
Have you ever heard about the 3/47/50 rule? Essentially, the basic idea is 3% of website visitors will buy on their first visit, 47% will be ready to buy in the near future, and 50% won’t ever make a purchase. In other words, the majority of your e-store customers will browse the website, click on an item, check the product and then leave. Therefore, this 47% should be the target of your Magento email marketing campaigns. And that’s where email newsletters can come in handy.
Is Email Marketing Still Effective?
While some marketing trends come and go, email remains one of the most powerful channels for driving business today. Why? The stats show that 85% of US adults prefer to communicate with companies via email – that’s more than social media, text messages and phone calls combined. So, if you are running an online store, newsletters are an effective communication tool between merchants and customers. They are sent for various reasons: for promotions, follow-ups, order confirmations, shipping notifications, and much more.
Why Use Newsletter Popups in E-Commerce?
Newsletter popups are on-screen interactions that are typically used to display any call-to-action and help e-store owners get more subscribers, promote new products or deliver special offers.
Some merchants tend to avoid popups in websites, treating them as an interruption to the reader journey. Yet, other website owners use them to:
- build an email list;
- turn readers into buyers or at least subscribers;
- grow sales and revenue.
With such significant benefits, it’s no surprise that popups are becoming an increasingly important tool in email campaigns. The popups implementation on your website can easily help generate more leads, enhance signups and boost sales.
Email Popups for E-Commerce: DOs & DON’Ts
Concerned with ruining the user experience, some Magento store owners avoid implementing email popups. However, when used correctly, newsletter popups for e-commerce can deliver a lot of value like converting visitors into leads, increasing sign-ups and boosting sales.
The following DOs and DON’Ts can help you make the readers’ experience more pleasant and your newsletter content more effective:
- consider the user experience. Make sure to design the email popup in e-commerce as unobtrusive as possible. It should match the style and design of the e-store, combine a clear and compelling offer that’s relevant to the customer. Besides, create popups that are responsive and optimized to different devices (such as desktops, phones, and tablets, etc.).
- target your specific audience. Tailoring the newsletter content to fit the consumers’ specific needs allows you to achieve the conversion goals more effectively. If you want to create personalized offers, it is recommended to consider the preferences of newsletter readers.
- make it creative. The time when popups were boring and accompanied with lots of exclamation marks has gone away. To maximize the conversions, create witty, exciting and memorable popups. Remember – more creativity often means more leads.
- find the perfect moment. Give your readers a bit more time to browse around and to familiarize themselves with the website content. With the help of Google analytics data try to find out the average time on page and activate your pop-up after 30% of that time has passed.
- make sure it works. Before you go online with your newsletter popup, ensure it works in the right way. Test it. And then test it again. Try out the popup on various platforms, screen sizes, and browsers to make sure everything works flawlessly.
However, the above-mentioned tips don’t work if you ignore the following DON’Ts:
- ask for too much information. Today’s readers are too busy to provide detailed information about themselves. So, if you ask for too much personal data, there’s a possibility of a conversion rate drop.
- hide the Close button. If users can’t easily close the popup window with the help of a “No, thanks” button or the usual little “X”, they can easily get confused. Make sure your popup has a large and visible “Close” button.
- follow the “one-size-fits-all” principle. Since modern customers prefer a more personalized approach, it is recommended to avoid displaying the same message for every consumer. Try to segment the customers due to various criteria like the prospects and existing customers.
- overwhelm your visitors with too much information. It is recommended to focus on one goal and CTA per email popup. Also, the popup should have a simple design with clear text without a lot of content and only one main image.
- give a weak offer. When customers get interrupted, they generally want the disturbance to be worth it. Ensure the call-to-action of the newsletter popup is powerful, convincing, and benefit-driven.
By and large, if you create and implement email popups in the right way, they can become an effective marketing tool. Keep in mind the above-written tips and get ready to create your own Magento newsletter popup without requiring the help of a developer.
How to Implement Email Popup Hands-Off
If you’re thinking about starting an email campaign for your Magento website visitors and wish to give popups a try, you are in the right place. Magento Newsletter Subscription Popup module has proved itself as a simple, yet powerful solution that helps merchants boost sales and engage new customers through creating newsletter popups. Even users with no coding knowledge can develop eye-catching popups without investing a lot of time and money. The most prominent features that make Magento users gravitate towards the extension are:
- 20+ built-in responsive popup themes;
- One-click subscription via Facebook login;
- Tracking statistics of each newsletter popup;
- Sophisticated popup display settings;
- Seamless integration with CRM & email marketing platforms (MailChimp, HubSpot, ActiveCampaign, InfusionSoft, Dotdigital, Klaviyo, GetResponse, Constant Contact, Salesforce and more);
- Complete history of user interactions;
- Compatibility with custom & third party Magento themes.
Now, after you have got acquainted with the main benefits of Magento Newsletter Popup extension, it is time to explore how to implement the plugin into your online store without technical knowledge.
Note: Magento Newsletter Popup Extension can be installed using 2 methods – via FTP or Composer.
Consider the following steps and get your first Magento newsletter popup ready:
- Install & Activate the Plugin
Start with the Plumrocket tab in the main menu. Then choose Newsletter Popup Extension -> Configuration by clicking the corresponding button. When done, Enable Extension and proceed with further steps.
- Preview & Manage the Popup
If you want to make any popup configurations, go back to the Plumrocket tab in the main menu and Select Newsletter Popup extension. Under the Manage Popups section, you’ll find a grid containing popup thumbnail, ID, name, views, subscriptions, conversion rate, orders count, total revenue, start and end dates, store views, and status. Also, it is possible to add a new popup or preview the existing one by clicking the matching Preview or Add Popup buttons.
- Manage Newsletter Popup Theme
Under the path Plumrocket -> Newsletter Popup -> Manage Themes you’ll find 20+ available themes. Also, the plugin makes it possible to preview the desired themes. If you want to add a new theme, you can enter its name, add image and press Add New Theme button.
- Preview the Newsletter Popup History in Magento
The newsletter popup history is available under Plumrocket -> Newsletter Popup -> History. There you’ll find a grid showing popup ID and name; customer name, email, group, and IP; landing page; action (canceled or subscribed); coupon code; order number and G.T. (Order Grand Total); date and time; store view.
If you want to observe the module in action, you can always try to run a free Demo. In case you need to learn more information about the module, you can take advantage of Documentation for useful insights.
As you can see, email popups are too resultative to be ignored since they can help you create effective email marketing campaigns, increase customer base and boost sales. So, don’t waste your time and start implementing newsletter popups for e-commerce with Newsletter Popup extension right now!